- £134 million authorities funding to maintain UK’s greenest, most progressive companies thriving throughout coronavirus pandemic and will assist to safe and create new jobs throughout the nation
- initiatives to service offshore wind generators autonomously, utilizing AI to cut back beer waste within the brewing course of and changing seaweed into compostable packaging to deal with plastic waste set to profit
- funding a part of the federal government’s dedication to construct again higher by supporting the UK’s threat takers to convey their novel concepts to market
Robots that patrol UK roads to detect and restore cracks and potholes, utilizing Synthetic Intelligence (AI) that may assist to cut back beer waste and changing seaweed into compostable packaging are simply a few of over 1,000 initiatives that may right this moment (Wednesday 4 November) obtain £134 million of presidency funding.
Companies proper throughout the UK, from Glasgow to Devon, are set to profit from the funding, enabling 1,069 ground-breaking clear progress initiatives develop new applied sciences, safe and create new jobs, drive productiveness and deal with local weather change.
This consists of marine firm Rovco in Bristol, which is growing distinctive expertise permitting for autonomous underwater inspections of huge offshore wind generators. This will probably be essential in aiding human operators perform efficient upkeep of one of many UK’s cleanest, renewable vitality sources, which might typically be harmful, whereas making certain it’s carried out in accordance with social distancing measures.
KegTracker in Pontypridd, Wales, is aiming to cut back the quantity of waste within the UK’s brewing trade through the use of synthetic intelligence (AI) to show kegs into ‘sensible containers’ that may present actual time information to precisely monitor the situation and contents of kegs as they journey from brewery to pub and again once more. This may assist scale back the quantity of liquid that’s thrown away yearly, at present costing the UK an estimated £5 billion a yr.
One other firm, Oceanium in Argyll, Scotland, is growing a sophisticated bio-refinery which is able to flip seaweed into meals and compostable packaging merchandise, tackling plastic waste and creating new jobs within the native space, whereas supporting the UK’s goal to achieve web zero carbon emissions by 2050.
These concepts may remodel entire industries resembling manufacturing, hospitality and the automotive sector by serving to them reply to the distinctive challenges offered by the pandemic, whereas supporting threat takers to convey their novel concepts to market.
Enterprise Secretary Alok Sharma stated:
The UK’s response to coronavirus has demonstrated the perfect of British ingenuity, and it’s this resourcefulness that may assist us navigate our manner by way of this pandemic.
As we speak’s funding will be certain that our innovators and risk-takers can proceed to scale up their concepts, serving to the UK to construct again higher and guarantee we meet our clear commitments on tackling local weather change.
A further firm receiving funding right this moment consists of Robotiz3D in Manchester, which is growing autonomous expertise which is able to allow robots to be deployed to patrol UK roads to detect and restore cracks and potholes as quickly as they seem. This method will pace up the time taken to make repairs and can decrease total prices, whereas decreasing the carbon footprint attributable to highway upkeep autos.
The Sustainable Innovation Fund, delivered by way of Innovate UK, is a cornerstone of the £1.25 billion funding package deal introduced by the Chancellor in April to assist formidable, progressive companies survive and thrive in the course of the present pandemic.
Government Chair Innovate UK Dr Ian Campbell stated:
But once more we see the thrilling vary of enterprise innovation happening throughout the UK, regardless of these troublesome instances.
Each initiative we’ve supported right here represents an necessary step ahead in sustainable financial growth, but in addition one step nearer desires changing into actuality for formidable hard-working firm homeowners and their workers.
The funding kinds a part of the federal government’s dedication to help the UK’s entrepreneurs and start-ups to scale up their improvements, set out in its formidable R&D Roadmap in July this yr.
Notes to editors
- The £134 million funding comes from Innovate UK’s Sustainable innovation Fund, which was launched as a part of the £550 million package of measures to help progressive SMEs reply to COVID-19
- every enterprise will obtain as much as £175,000 from the £134 million funding
- for a smaller variety of recipients, their award is the primary section of a 2-part competitors beneath the Small Business Research Initiative (SBRI) that addresses particular web zero and clear progress challenges as a part of the federal government’s pledge to deal with local weather change