On this version of Enterprise Replace, our round-up of business-critical information and data from the Training and Abilities Funding Company (ESFA):
- Prime Minister Lifetime Abilities Assure Speech – 29 September 2020
- Ofsted Apprenticeship Inspections – Stage 6 and seven
- Legislative adjustments to assist redundant apprentices
- Nationwide Apprenticeship Week 2021 date introduced
- High 100 broadcast date introduced
- Nationwide Apprenticeship Awards entries shut
- Apprenticeship.gov web site updates
- Useful Abilities in apprenticeships
- Redundancy Assist Service for Apprenticeships – YouTube video
- Incentive for Hiring a New Apprentice – Recap
- IfATE Route Evaluation workshops
Please share Enterprise Replace along with your colleagues who may wish to register for web alerts. This can notify them by e mail after we add new editions of Enterprise Replace to GOV.UK.
For extra details about apprenticeships, you may go to apprenticeships.gov.uk or name 08000 150 600.
1. Prime Minister Lifetime Abilities Assure Speech – 29 September 2020
The Prime Minister has set out long run plans to transform the training and skills system, making it match for the twenty first century financial system and to make sure that, as work adjustments, individuals can retrain, upskill, and discover new well-paid jobs, serving to the nation construct again higher from coronavirus.
Apprenticeship alternatives will likely be elevated, with extra funding for SMEs taking over apprentices, and larger flexibility in how their coaching is structured – particularly in sectors resembling development and inventive industries the place there are extra assorted employment patterns.
Along with this:
- From April, in England adults with out an A-Stage or equal qualification will likely be provided a free, fully-funded school course – offering them with abilities valued by employers, and the chance to review at a time and site that fits them, paid for via the Nationwide Abilities Fund.
- Greater training loans can even be made extra versatile, permitting adults and younger individuals to area out their examine throughout their lifetimes, take extra high-quality vocational programs in additional training schools and universities, and to assist individuals to retrain for jobs of the long run, backed by continued funding in school buildings and amenities – together with over £1.5 billion in capital funding.
- The federal government is dedicated to creating larger training extra versatile to facilitate lifelong studying, and to make it straightforward for adults and younger individuals to interrupt up their examine into segments, switch credit between schools and universities, and allow extra part-time examine. This new association will present finance for shorter time period research, somewhat than having to review in a single three or four-year block.
- The federal government can also be committing £8 million for digital abilities boot camps, increasing profitable pilots in Better Manchester and the West Midlands and introducing programmes in 4 new places. From subsequent 12 months, boot camps will likely be prolonged to sectors like development and engineering, serving to the nation construct again higher and assist our refreshed Industrial Technique.
- £2.5 billion can also be being made out there via the Nationwide Abilities Fund to assist get individuals working once more after COVID, in addition to giving these in work the possibility to coach for higher-skilled, better-paid jobs.
View the transcript from the full speech.
2. Ofsted Apprenticeship Inspections – Stage 6 and seven
The Training Secretary introduced on Monday 28 September that, following cautious consideration, the Authorities has accepted the Augar Evaluation’s suggestion that Ofsted change into the one physique accountable for the inspection of the standard of apprenticeship coaching provision in any respect ranges.
From 1 April 2021, Ofsted will subsequently assume accountability for inspecting stage 6 and seven apprenticeships (each diploma and non-degree) as they do at present for ranges 2-5.
The Education Secretary has written to Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector Amanda Spielman to confirm this policy change.
This transformation will guarantee consistency in high quality requirements throughout apprenticeships, in order that employers and apprentices can believe that apprenticeship coaching is topic to a constant method to high quality assurance, no matter supplier sort or the extent of the apprenticeship.
A sequence of digital conferences will likely be launched later this 12 months to present suppliers a chance to listen to straight from ESFA, Ofsted and the OfS, and perceive what this modification means for them. Additional info will observe in the end.
3. Legislative adjustments to assist redundant apprentices
On Thursday tenth September, a statutory instrument (SI) was laid in Parliament that may amend laws to permit extra redundant apprentices to finish their apprenticeships.
At the moment the Training and Abilities Funding Company proceed to fund the apprentice to finish their programme if they’re made redundant inside six months of their last day of coaching. This enables apprentices which are near the tip of their apprenticeship to proceed with it whereas they search for one other employer to finish their apprenticeship with, or, if they’re unable to search out one, permit them to finish their apprenticeship with out an employer.
The choice to amend laws will assist assist extra redundant apprentices affected by COVID-19. The amended laws will lengthen this assist to additionally fund to completion all apprentices who’re a minimum of 75% of their approach via their apprenticeship on the level of redundancy. This can give apprentices who’ve made a considerable and long-term funding of their apprenticeship the chance to finish their coaching and obtain occupational competence.
These adjustments will imply extra redundant apprentices can full their apprenticeship, placing them in a stronger place to safe new employment. The SI will lengthen this assist to apprentices endeavor each requirements and frameworks.
The SI is at present going via parliamentary processes and we are going to present an extra replace in the end
4. Nationwide Apprenticeship Week 2021 date introduced
The 14th annual Nationwide Apprenticeship Week date has been introduced and can happen from 8 to 14 February 2021.
Nationwide Apprenticeship Week is an annual week-long celebration of apprenticeships throughout England and is a time to recognise and applaud apprenticeship success tales throughout the nation. Apprenticeship employers use the chance to advertise the success of their apprentices and spotlight the massive advantages to different employers, of all sizes, who’re pondering of taking over an apprentice. Apprentices throughout the nation can even be celebrated all through the week
All through the years, Nationwide Apprenticeship Week has linked apprenticeship supporters from throughout the nation, with MPs, ambassadors, apprentices, coaching suppliers and prime employers concerned in recognising the worth and significance of apprenticeships.
The theme of Nationwide Apprenticeship Week 2021 will likely be introduced in the end on GOV.UK.
5. The High 100 broadcast will happen on the 21 October 2020.
The High 100 Apprenticeship Employers rating will rejoice the nation’s excellent apprenticeship employers and assist potential apprentices, dad and mom and careers advisers to simply establish apprenticeship alternatives.
High employers, who’re serving to to steer an ‘apprenticeship revolution’ and getting extra individuals into expert jobs, will likely be recognised in a brand new nationwide rating of the main employers of apprentices. Greater than 100,000 organisations in England are actually apprenticeship employers, England’s main employers will likely be recognised for his or her total dedication to using apprentices, their creation of latest apprenticeships, the range of their new apprentices, and the development of their apprentices onto additional apprenticeships and employment.
Starting in 2020, the annual rankings will showcase the nation’s High 100 employers which have accomplished probably the most to supply profitable apprenticeships over the earlier 12 months and have been developed by the Nationwide Apprenticeship Service, in partnership with Excessive Fliers Analysis, who will independently assess and compile the brand new nationwide chief board of prime apprenticeship employers.
Extra info on methods to register to hitch the printed will likely be made out there within the coming weeks on the Top 100 Apprenticeship Employer website.
6. Nationwide Apprenticeship Awards entries shut
The National Apprenticeship Awards 2020 are actually closed for entries.
Again for his or her seventeenth 12 months, the Nationwide Apprenticeship Awards spotlight enterprise and particular person success in apprenticeships and are significantly poignant this 12 months, given the challenges many employers and apprentices have confronted in the course of the pandemic.
This 12 months winners will likely be recognised at on-line broadcast ceremonies. These ceremonies can even showcase excellent news tales from Covid-19, with examples of the place apprentices have gone above and past to make a distinction.
Regional ceremonies will happen between 2 and 6 November, with the nationwide ceremony happening on 25 November.
To search out out extra in regards to the Nationwide Apprenticeship Awards 2020, or to enroll to the mailing record, please go to: appawards.co.uk.
7. Apprenticeship.gov web site updates
The apprenticeships.gov.uk web site has been refreshed, with extra info together with organising an account on the Apprenticeship Service, assist for apprentices who’re susceptible to, or who’ve been made redundant (ReSSA) and hyperlinks to the monetary incentives for employers recruiting apprentices.
8. Useful Abilities in apprenticeships
We’re carefully monitoring the evaluation of Useful Abilities in apprenticeships and delays brought on by COVID-19 restrictions. Though most coaching and evaluation has both returned to regular or is being delivered remotely, this has not occurred in each case.
The shortcoming to finish Useful Abilities parts might delay the completion of apprentices’ programmes. We’re working carefully with suppliers and Ofqual to take acceptable actions to resolve the difficulty, however we additionally want employers to contemplate how they’ll finest assist their workers
Some employers haven’t been capable of launch their apprentices to finish their Useful Abilities coaching or evaluation or haven’t been capable of host suppliers or evaluation organisations within the office. We consider that, in some cases, these boundaries will be overcome. We’re asking employers to work with their coaching suppliers to discover flexibilities that may permit apprentices to finish their assessments. For example, internet hosting them in numerous places.
9. The Redundancy Assist Service for Apprenticeships – YouTube video
The Redundancy Assist Service for Apprentices (ReSSA) offers clear, accessible recommendation and steering to people on the impression of redundancy, their choices, and subsequent steps. For the reason that service launched on 1 August 2020, we’ve got been capable of assist apprentices throughout England. We now have been contacted by a spread of employers, giant and small, who’ve shared particulars of their vacancies via the service.
Watch our new YouTube video to learn how taking on a redundant apprentice can profit your organisation and methods to entry the service.
In case you are conscious of any apprentices who’ve been affected by redundancy please encourage them to go to Facing redundancy during your apprenticeship or name 0800 015 0400 to talk to an adviser.
Learn extra on GOV.UK.
10. Incentive for Hiring a New Apprentice – Recap
From 1 September, employers giant and small can apply for large cash incentives designed to create extra high-quality apprenticeship alternatives.
As a part of the Government’s Plan for Jobs, employers are being provided £2,000 for every new apprentice aged underneath 25 they rent, and £1,500 for every new apprentice they rent aged 25 and over, as much as the thirty first January 2021. This contains taking over an apprentice who has been made redundant.
The brand new money incentives for employers are along with the present £1,000 cost for brand new 16-18-year-old apprentices, and people aged underneath 25 with an Training, Well being and Care Plan.
The incentive payment for hiring a new apprentice is completely different to the apprenticeship levy and can be utilized on something to assist organisational prices, for instance amenities, uniforms, apprentice’s journey or their wage.
Any organisation can apply for the cost, irrespective of the scale or the sector. Purposes should be made via the Apprenticeship Service, employers not at present registered will have the ability to arrange an account.
The apprenticeships incentive is certainly one of a number of skills offers for employers as a part of the Authorities’s Plan for Jobs.
11. IfATE Route Evaluation workshops
Route Critiques decide the way forward for apprenticeships and technical training, and are arrange to make sure the apprenticeship requirements meet the Institute’s high quality necessities and stay related and updated for employers and apprentices.
The workshops will cowl the apprenticeships that are in scope for the route critiques and talk about the place enhancements may very well be made. There can even be a dialogue on the impression of COVID-19 on the route and dealing practices.
The Institute for Apprenticeships (IfATE) introduced that Route Critiques can be restarting from 18 September 2020. The suggestions from the Hair and Magnificence and Inventive and Design route critiques will likely be launched later this 12 months. Dates will likely be introduced quickly.
The next workshops to assist the Institute’s route critiques have been confirmed.
The engineering and manufacturing workshop, run by Enginuity, will happen on Thursday 8 October from 11am to 3pm.
In case you are fascinated with attending please e mail firstname.lastname@example.org and you’ll be contacted by the organiser.
The workshops for agriculture, environmental and animal care, run by Landex, will happen on:
- Monday twelfth October 2020 – 11am to 3pm
- Friday twenty third October 2020 – 11am to 3pm
- Monday twenty sixth October 2020 – 11am to 3pm
If you want to attend any of those workshops, please e mail email@example.com.
Please go to the IfATE website for additional info.
The Enterprise Assist Helpline quantity in England is:
The helpline offers free, neutral enterprise assist and signposting companies to companies in England – which at present contains enterprise recommendation on Covid-19.
DfE coronavirus helpline: 0800 046 8687