The Lagos State Authorities has arrested and is at the moment probing cops that had been concerned in brutalising protesters on the Surulere protest venue.
This was disclosed by the State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, through his Twitter deal with on Thursday.
In keeping with the Governor, the Lagos Commissioner of Police arrested the officers and an orderly room trial has begun.
He tweeted, “The officers are; Inspector Bagou Michael; Inspector Ekpoudom Etop; Sgt Nnamdi Majura & Sgt. Akinyemi Benson. They’re dealing with orderly room trials instantly and be relaxation assured that we’ll comply with up on these trials.
“After conferences with the President, IGP, Lagos CP and the NGF right now, I’ll wish to sòrò soke about what we’re instantly doing in Lagos to construct belief, #EndPoliceBrutality and guarantee we don’t have to deal with these points once more.
“It’s a time of sober reflection in Lagos and certainly throughout the nation. It has taken a strong youth led motion to drive reform and hopefully start the method that really delivers a citizen pleasant police.”
After conferences with the President, IGP, Lagos CP and the NGF right now, I’ll wish to sòrò soke about what we’re instantly doing in Lagos to construct belief, #EndPoliceBrutality and guarantee we do not have to deal with these points once more. pic.twitter.com/g0wt3dHcu0
— Babajide Sanwo-Olu (@jidesanwoolu) October 15, 2020
Governor Sanwo-Olu listed seven choice taken by the state:
* Panel of Enquiry and Restitution for Victims of SARS In Lagos: We have now setup a 7 man panel that can be sure that all these with verifiable instances of SARS brutality or fatality obtain compensation. The Panel can be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi.
Different members are: Mr. Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society); Rtd. DIG Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector Basic of Police); Ms Endurance Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Mr. Segun Awosanya (Human Rights Activist); Mrs. Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Residents Mediation Middle); in addition to a rep/member of the youth-led protest and a consultant of the Human Rights Fee.
We’re organising a assist desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel. From subsequent week, it is possible for you to to achieve them instantly on these devoted numbers; 0901 051 3203; 3204 and 3205.
* Protesters: There have been specific directions to Police in Lagos to cooperate with protesters and in conditions the place arrests are unavoidable, there should be full transparency and upholding of their authorized rights.
If there’s anybody nonetheless in custody, please convey it to my discover. At the moment’s unlucky incident of thuggery is being investigated and we’ll convey to e-book these behind it.
* SARS: By order of the IGP, all members have been recalled to drive headquarters. They are going to obtain psychological examinations and a full overview of their information.
For those who discover any SARS members or models nonetheless in operation in Lagos, please convey them to my discover. To keep away from an increase in crime or kidnapping, a brand new unit will start coaching subsequent week that won’t have any SARS members.
* New unit obligations: The brand new unit can be absolutely intelligence pushed and won’t be engaged in routine searches or violate any citizen’s rights to non-public freedom. The police will announce standards for the make-up of the unit or public recruitments involving the youth.
* Crimes of the disbanded SARS: The IGP is organising a panel which is able to begin work within the subsequent couple of weeks to overview all instances of police brutality and can work with residents and civil proper teams to be as clear as doable in prosecution.
* Compensation for victims of police brutality: No sum of money could make up for his or her experiences however in Lagos, we’ve setup a N200m belief fund that can be managed by the panel set as much as compensate victims of police brutality.
* Actions towards officers concerned in brutalising protesters: The Lagos CP has arrested the officers concerned in brutalising protesters on the surulere protest venue and an orderly room trial has begun.
The officers are; Inspector Bagou Michael; Inspector Ekpoudom Etop; Sgt Nnamdi Majura & Sgt. Akinyemi Benson. They’re dealing with orderly room trials instantly and be relaxation assured that we’ll comply with up on these trials.