Healthy eating simply means eating a variety of good foods that supply the body with nutrients that you need to maintain your health, feel good, and have energy. These notable nutrients needed to maintain good health include protein, carbohydrates, fat, water, vitamins, and minerals.

There are one thousand and one reasons for not eating healthy, and of course, a major and common reason is cost. It is an undeniable fact that healthy eating costs more than not eating healthy, but the only mistake most people make is not asking “by how much?”. It could be surprising to you, just as it was to me when I first realized it too, that the difference between healthy eating and not eating healthy is only $1.50 (570 Naira) per person per day, according to the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH).

For up to about 70% of people living in America, for instance, $1.5 is not a big deal, but most people do not realize that it takes just as little that to switch from unhealthy eating to eating healthy. Though for the rest of the 30% to 40%, and to most people in the developing nations, $1.50 could be a little too much, but that cost is way too low when compared with the cost of treating diseases associated with unhealthy eating.

It is a known fact that the cost of healthcare is expensive everywhere in the world. In most developing nations like Nigeria, a lot of people do not even have access to basic healthcare. Not because they do not want to, but because it is expensive, and most cannot afford it. Unfortunately, the government is doing almost nothing to subsidize the cost.

This is not only peculiar to developing nations alone, healthcare is extremely expensive in the United States too. In fact, the US cost of healthcare is the most expensive in the world with an average of about $30 per person per day. According to the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH), unhealthy diets take almost 20% of U.S. health care costs from heart disease, stroke, and diabetes, and that in US dollars is about $50 billion.

In view of taking charge of one’s health to avoid the danger of not eating healthy and to save time and money and stress of being ill, we will be analyzing food that we can eat to stay healthy in a cost-effective way. Fruits and vegetables are not for those watching weight alone, they are for everyone. In this section, we will discuss foods to ensure to have in your closet and fridges starting with vegetables. Until then, cheers and stay safe.

Author

Write A Comment