Inventory picture | Photograph by Monticelllo/iStock/Getty Photographs Plus, St. George Information
FEATURE — It’s meals preservation season – that much-anticipated time when residence gardeners and farmers market fanatics get to protect the harvest. Whereas many individuals know and perceive fundamental freezing and dehydrating strategies for preserving meals, it turns into a distinct story once they ponder bottling.
Meals preservation is a science- and research-based apply. It’s not the identical as inventive cooking. When preserving meals with water-bath or strain canning, a kitchen have to be changed into a laboratory by following directions precisely and utilizing correct procedures. That’s the reason many residence canners are disillusioned to be taught that their favourite contemporary salsa or grandma’s stew just isn’t advisable for residence canning, nor are issues like butter, bacon or pureed squash.
Listed here are guidelines to assist information each the novice and the seasoned residence preservation fanatic:
- Observe canning instructions precisely.
- All the time use up-to-date, scientifically examined recipes, and solely use authorized canning strategies (boiling water-bath or strain).
- Make altitude changes by including extra time to water tub canning or growing strain for pressure-canned merchandise.
- Be sure that canned merchandise have a correct lid seal.
- Don’t add further starch, flour or different thickeners to a recipe.
- Don’t add further onions, chilies, bell peppers or different greens to salsas.
- Make sure to correctly vent the strain canner.
- Get your dial-type strain canner gauges examined yearly.
- Don’t use an oven as a substitute of a water tub for processing.
- Make sure to correctly acidify canned tomatoes.
- Don’t cool the strain canner below operating water.
- Don’t let meals ready for “scorching pack” processing cool within the jars earlier than inserting them within the canner for processing.
For canning fanatics, the satisfaction that comes from preserving meals is properly definitely worth the effort and time. With instruction from useful assets together with a touch of frequent sense, this season could also be the very best ever for including to your meals storage cabinets.
An possibility for locating secure, scientifically primarily based solutions for correct meals preservation is to name your native Utah State College Extension workplace. For contact data for county workplaces throughout Utah, go to the USU Extension website. Further canning ideas, in addition to data on issues to keep away from, can be discovered online.
Written by KATHY RIGGS, Utah State College Extension household and shopper sciences professor.