Threepipe gained the ‘Journey, leisure or sport’ class at The Drum Awards for the Digital Industries 2020 with its ‘Categorical Your self’ marketing campaign for The England & Wales Cricket Board. Right here, the workforce behind entry reveal the challenges confronted and methods used to ship this profitable challenge.
The England Males’s workforce have been taking part in within the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup on residence soil for the primary time in 20 years and it offered a novel alternative to boost the profile of the workforce and drive engagement with a brand new era of followers with the sport.
Analysis revealed, nonetheless, that the youngest cricket-interested section (aged 16-24 years) felt indifferent from the game. They highlighted a scarcity of pleasure or buzz round cricket – they discovered it, as one analysis participant put it, ‘a bit Downton Abbey’.
The general advertising and marketing goals have been to:
- Drive consciousness and reappraisal of the England Males’s Cricket workforce.
- Improve affinity and engagement with the workforce and gamers.
- Seize knowledge and followers age 16-24 for submit marketing campaign engagement.
The particular KPIs amongst the summer time socials viewers have been to ship:
- +5% improve in unprompted participant recall.
- +5% improve in prompted consciousness of the grasp ECB model ‘We Are England Cricket’.
- 18k common each day YouTube views (in opposition to benchmark of 13.8k).
The ECB recognized a bullseye audience section, which was known as ‘Summer season Socials’.
This was a younger UK based mostly viewers aged 16-24 years previous during which consciousness of the England workforce was low and during which 40% of these occupied with cricket, couldn’t title one England participant.
Whereas many nonetheless loved taking part in cricket, they felt a slight disconnect with the skilled recreation and with cricket supporters, who they noticed as ‘posh’, ‘center class’ and ‘a bit boring’. They felt there was a scarcity of pleasure and buzz round cricket, particularly throughout social media, with the consequence being that it naturally fell off their radar, regardless of their curiosity.
We needed to drive a deeper engagement and excite this youthful viewers in order that they may really feel they’ll share content material and discuss in regards to the England Cricket workforce. We needed to place the workforce on their radar as an thrilling, younger workforce that performs a model of cricket that’s each modern and expressive.
With this marketing campaign, our ambition was to drive on-line engagement with and across the England workforce and the gamers personalities, so the content material and media selections needed to really feel genuine and aligned with the place the Summer season Socials have been already consuming current content material.
The marketing campaign
‘Categorical Your self’ was our multi-channel, digital-led response to this problem. Positioned authentically to replicate a younger, thrilling and numerous group of gamers, the marketing campaign was impressed by the progressive philosophy of workforce captain Eoin Morgan.
Incorporating unprecedented entry to gamers, content material was created to showcase how the workforce ‘specific themselves’ on and off the pitch and to rejoice the transformation the aspect had undergone over the previous 4 years.
We created an genuine, disruptive and highly-shareable content material targeted marketing campaign that will be delivered and amplified by way of a extremely layered and responsive media plan all through the match.
The important thing streams of content material included:
• Hero movie: Coinciding with the revealing of the England World Cup package, a hero movie asset was created to dramatise the facility and individuality of England’s taking part in type. This had a really youthful and disruptive artwork course which prolonged into all different channels, together with the event of over 100 property for cellular channels.
• Squad Battles: An eight-part video sequence pitted two groups of England gamers in opposition to one another in challenges together with Dizzy Penalties and Sumo wrestling.
• Participant Passions: England gamers have been matched with social media influencers with shared pursuits, together with drone racing and FIFA gaming.
• Partnerships: Bespoke editorial content material was created in partnership with SPORTbible and Josh Denzel, a sports activities presenter and influencer.
• Teammates: An everyday drip feed of behind the scenes content material sharing perception into the England dressing room and listening to gamers describe one another in their very own phrases.
A key point of interest of the marketing campaign was to drive our audience to a mobile-optimised, digital hub which hosted all of the marketing campaign content material and wider participant profile and match info.
The marketing campaign surpassed all targets for its cricket-interested, 16-24 year-old viewers:
• Common each day YouTube views: 43k, 138% larger than 18k goal.
• Unprompted participant recall: 9% improve v +5% goal.
• Prompted model consciousness: 8% improve v +5% goal.
Extra broadly, the marketing campaign helped to place cricket again on the map and set ECB engagement data:
• 3m views for ‘Squad Battles’ content material throughout all platforms.
• 1.8m social media engagements throughout the World Cup remaining (44% larger than earlier ECB document).
• Over 7.5m YouTube views with a accomplished engagement fee of greater than 30%.
• Over 400k individuals visited the ECB marketing campaign digital hub all through the match.
The Categorical Your self marketing campaign helped to create a platform for engagement upon which cricket constructed efficiently:
• August: ECB ranked the No.1 UK sport channel on YouTube (Supply: Tubular Labs).
• October: This was probably the most profitable on-sale interval in ECB historical past for males’s 2020 Worldwide matches (Supply: Two Circles/ECB Gross sales Information).
“Threepipe contributed massively to the success of this marketing campaign which has constructed an actual legacy for cricket on this nation. The distribution and focusing on technique of the content material led to incredible engagement with an viewers we have been eager to achieve.” –Chris Heasman, advertising and marketing supervisor, England & Wales Cricket Board
This challenge was a winner at The Drum Awards for Digital Industries 2020. To seek out out which Drum Awards are at present open for entry, click here.