Candace Hollingsworth, Mayor of Hyattsville introduced on Fb that she can be resigning from her place on the finish of the 12 months.
HYATTSVILLE, Md. — Since 2015, Candace Hollingsworth has served because the mayor of Hyattsville. On Tuesday, Nov. 10, after practically six years within the place, she resigned as a way to develop a brand new political celebration known as Our Black Party.
“It is a very troublesome resolution for me,” she mentioned.
Hollingsworth mentioned the celebration was established to enhance the standard of life for black individuals on this nation “by serving to cross insurance policies and elect candidates which are prepared and dedicated to cross insurance policies that enhance the standard of life for black individuals in america.”
Based on Hollingsworth, practically 20,000 individuals have pledged their dedication to the 9 values of Our Black Occasion.
- Black individuals have a proper to personal their politics
- Black individuals have a proper to a good and simply legal authorized system.
- Black individuals have a proper to financial fairness and equality inside america of America.
- Black individuals have a proper to well being fairness in america of America.
- Black individuals have a proper to instructional fairness in america of America.
- Black individuals have a proper to each unalienable proper assured within the structure of america.
- Black individuals have a proper to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
- Black persons are not a monolithic group and, subsequently, we have now a proper to advocate for various issues.
- Above all, Black individuals have a duty to like one another and accountability is love.
“Whether or not you are Black or white or anything, you’ll be able to maintain these commitments, and in the event you do there’s area for you in Our Black Occasion,” Hollingsworth mentioned.
Based on the Hyattsville clerk, Hollingsworth’s resignation is efficient on the finish of this 12 months. And in accordance with Hyattsville’s Metropolis Constitution, if the mayor’s place turns into vacant, the president of the council will function mayor till a brand new mayor is elected. Thus, beginning Jan. 1, 2021, Council President Kevin Ward will tackle that function. Within the meantime, Hollingsworth mentioned Our Black Occasion can be providing political coaching for its members.
“We’ll be coaching all of our members on the fundamentals of politics, the fundamentals of civics, the fundamentals of civic engagement and advocacy, in order that we are able to actually get probably the most out of the subsequent 4 years,” she mentioned.
By means of the celebration, her aim is to carry all elected officers accountable, determine new potential candidates and help current candidates which are going to decide to the “Black agenda.”
“In order that we do not see ourselves in the identical place the place we’re not significantly enthusiastic in regards to the candidates and we really feel virtually pressured to vote as a result of we do not like the opposite various,” Hollingsworth mentioned.
In Might of 2021, Hyattsville has a repeatedly scheduled election, which is when Hyattsville will elect a brand new mayor to serve the two-year steadiness of Hollingsworth’s time period.