Vice President-elect Kamala Harris mentioned Saturday that the American folks selected “hope, unity, decency, science, and sure, reality” in electing Joe Biden the forty sixth president of the U.S.
Driving the information: Harris, 56, will grow to be the first lady, Black American and Indian American to function vp. “Whereas I could be the first lady on this workplace I can’t be the final,” she declared.
- Sporting a white swimsuit and shirt, symbolizing the ladies’s suffrage motion, and an American flag pin, Harris praised Biden’s “audacity” for selecting a girl for his working mate.
- “Each little woman watching tonight sees that it is a nation of potentialities,” she mentioned.
What she’s saying: “Congressman John Lewis earlier than his passing wrote, ‘democracy just isn’t a state, it’s an act.’ What he meant was that America’s democracy just isn’t assured. It is just as sturdy as our willingness to combat for it, to protect it, and by no means take it as a right,” Harris mentioned.
- “When our very democracy was on the poll on this election, with the very soul of America at stake, and the world watching, you ushered in a brand new day for America.”
- She referred to as Biden “a healer and a uniter, a examined and regular hand, an individual whose personal expertise with loss offers him a way of goal that can assist us as a nation and reclaim our sense of goal.”
On the centennial of the nineteenth Modification, Harris mentioned she was considering of the generations of ladies of all races, together with Black ladies who she mentioned are too usually neglected because the “spine” of American democracy.
The underside line: “[T]o the American folks, irrespective of who you voted for, I’ll try to be a vp like Joe was to President Obama: loyal, trustworthy and ready, waking up day by day, considering of you and your loved ones – as a result of now’s when the actual work begins,” Harris mentioned.
- “And to the youngsters of our nation, no matter your gender, our nation has despatched you a transparent message: dream with ambition, lead with conviction and see yourselves in a manner that others could not just because they’ve by no means seen it earlier than, however know that we are going to applaud you each step of the way in which.”
Between the strains: No lady has served as U.S. president, however Harris’ ascent will put a girl first within the line of succession for the primary time in historical past, in a 12 months marking the one centesimal anniversary of ladies acquiring the constitutional proper to vote.