1. Loads has been written about rankings for the NFL and NBA. The NBA is coming off report lows for the Finals, whereas the NFL’s numbers are down a bit bit throughout the board.
Everyone seems to be twisting themselves right into a pretzel to elucidate the decrease numbers in relation to these two leagues as a result of they’re the most well-liked on this nation. However the fact is that just about each league has confronted plummeting rankings. In lots of instances, leagues have skilled report lows over the previous few months.
The one exception has been the WNBA. Based on ESPN, its protection of the Seattle Storm’s championship-clinching win in Recreation 3 of the Finals was up 34% year-over-year over Recreation 3 of the 2019 WNBA Finals and up 27% over the Washington Mystics’ Recreation 5 championship win final 12 months.
The Finals between Seattle and the Las Vegas Aces averaged 440,000 viewers for the three-game sequence, up 15% over the WNBA Finals.
That is about it for the excellent news in relation to sports activities rankings in 2020. Every part else is a catastrophe.
Here’s a sampling of these horrible numbers through Sports Media Watch:
• The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs averaged 953,000 viewers throughout NBC’s TV and digital platforms. That is a 38% lower in comparison with final 12 months.
• The ultimate spherical of golf’s U.S. Open averaged a 2.0 ranking and three.21 million viewers for NBC, the bottom rated and least-watched ultimate spherical of the event ever and down 55% from 2019.
• The Preakness on NBC was down 56% in viewership from 2019.
• Even when there’s excellent news, there’s dangerous information. Final Saturday’s Tennessee-Georgia recreation on CBS averaged a 3.1 ranking and 5.77 million viewers, making it the highest-rated and most-watched recreation of the season. Nonetheless, the ranking was nonetheless 21% decrease than CBS’s Week 6 SEC recreation in 2019.
It was additionally the primary recreation of the season to common not less than a 3.0 ranking. By this date in 2019, 15 school soccer video games averaged not less than a 3.0 rankings.
• Sunday’s Recreation 1 of the ALCS on TBS drew 2.07 million viewers. Monday’s Recreation 2 of the ALCS drew 1.88 million viewers. These at the moment are the 2 least-watched LCS video games ever. The viewership numbers for the 2 video games are down 66% from the primary two video games of 2019’s ALCS.
The takeaway from all this? Wire reducing, fully totally different schedules, being in the course of a pandemic and being in an election 12 months have damage all sports activities, and there is not one single motive why any sports activities is affected by decrease viewership.
Nonetheless, individuals flocking to cable information is perhaps the most important motive based mostly on these numbers via AP.
• Fox Information averaged of 4.42 million final week–up 63%.
• MSNBC averaged 2.75 million final week–up 38%
• CNN averaged 2.59 million final week–up 172%.
The takeaway is straightforward: With out an election 12 months in 2021 and with (hopefully) the pandemic changing into a factor of the previous, most sports activities will take pleasure in a viewership improve in 2021.
2. The Braves led the Dodgers 7–0 within the seventh inning Tuesday evening, however needed to maintain on for an 8–7 win. After the the sport, one reporter stored attempting to spin the Braves’ win as a unfavorable, however Atlanta pitcher Mark Melancon wasn’t having it.
3. As soon as Derrick Henry stiff armed Josh Norman into one other planet Tuesday evening, you already know he’d get this week’s Indignant Runs crown from Kyle Brandt.
Henry additionally had an important quote after the sport about what he did to Norman.
4. That is nice stuff by former Giants operating again Rashad Jennings on Eli Manning. Jennings discusses Manning’s dry humorousness (“He is such a goof”) and makes some extent that I’ve by no means considered earlier than, however makes lots of sense: Eli would’ve been an important character on The Workplace.
5. A brand-new SI Media Podcast will likely be launched this afternoon with Contained in the NBA host Ernie Johnson.
Within the meantime, you should catch up on recent episodes and subscribe to the SI Media Podcast. Current friends embrace James Andrew Miller, Al Michaels, Dan Patrick and Kevin Harlan.
6. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: Noticed this clip for the primary time over the weekend and was mesmerized as normal when Paul Heyman speaks. Right here he’s explaining his famous SmackDown promo on Vince McMahon. This can be a must-watch for any wrestling fan.
7. SPORTS VIDEO OF THE DAY: 5 years in the past as we speak, José Bautista gave us one of many best bat flips in baseball historical past.
Be sure you catch up on past editions of Traina Thoughts and take a look at the Sports activities Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina on Apple, Spotify or Stitcher. You may as well observe Jimmy on Twitter and Instagram.