All the pieces that it’s good to know forward of Sunday’s match:
(1) As anticipated, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer rang the modifications in midweek for the Carabao Cup win over Brighton. Solely Victor Lindelöf saved his spot within the beginning lineup from the weekend, with backups like Daniel James, Diogo Dalot, Odion Ighalo, Fred, and Scott McTominay all given some much-needed minutes. Whereas Tottenham Hotspur will enter Sunday’s match completely knackered — extra on that in a minute — Manchester United’s regulars might be nicely rested.
(2) Solskjaer on his squad’s harm scenario:
Harry [Maguire] had slightly knock after the league sport [at Brighton], I believe a gap in his ankle, however he must be okay. I believe, aside from that, we’re okay. There aren’t any extra accidents from the cup sport.
(3) Eric Bailly turned in one other spectacular efficiency in Wednesday’s 3-0 win on the Amex Stadium. The 26-year-old will in all probability all the time be an harm danger requiring cautious administration, however he should be getting near leapfrogging Lindelof into Solskjaer’s first-choice eleven. Manchester United have saved clear sheets in each Carabao Cup matches with Bailly, whereas conceding 5 targets within the league up to now with out him.
Eric Bailly’s sport by numbers vs. Brighton:
100% tackles gained
91% cross accuracy
0 targets conceded
One other spectacular exhibiting. pic.twitter.com/3BK2zcIV3s
— Statman Dave (@StatmanDave) September 30, 2020
(4) Sadly for Manchester United, Spurs celebrity Harry Kane is off to a blazing begin in 2020/21 with six targets and 6 assists in seven video games. Solskjaer on the risk posed by Kane:
I believe each coach, while you play towards a crew with the standard that they’ve, but in addition Harry Kane, you put together rather well. Harry’s one of many high strikers on the earth and also you’re simply completely happy that he’s again match after the harm he had final 12 months. We’ll do our greatest to maintain him quiet. We now have a Harry [Maguire] again there that’s wanting ahead to enjoying towards his worldwide mate.
(5) No membership wants the worldwide break greater than Tottenham Hotspur. This week alone, Spurs performed Newcastle on Sunday, Chelsea on Tuesday within the Carabao Cup, Maccabi Haifa on Thursday to qualify for the Europa League group stage, and now Manchester United on Sunday. In all, that’s 8 video games in 22 days for Jose Mourinho’s males. Juggling the Premier League, Carabao Cup, and Europa League qualifiers has been a grueling process for the North London membership and United ought to maintain a determined health benefit this weekend.
(6) Courting again to final season, Spurs have solely misplaced as soon as of their final 13 matches in all competitions. That was a gap day defeat to high-flying Everton. In any other case, they’re in tremendous kind after knocking Chelsea out of the Carabao Cup on penalties and smashing Maccabi Haifa 7-2 to clinch a spot within the Europa League group stage.
7 – Spurs’ 7-2 win over Maccabi Haifa was the seventh time in José Mourinho’s managerial profession one in all his sides has scored seven targets in a sport, and the primary time since Actual Madrid’s 7-1 win over Osasuna in November 2011. Magnificent. pic.twitter.com/J93e8Qzzo8
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) October 2, 2020
(7) At halftime of the Maccabi Haifa rout, although, Giovani Lo Celso was eliminated with an obvious harm. That may be an enormous blow for Spurs, because the Argentine has thrived underneath Mourinho and emerged as probably the most harmful midfielders within the Premier League. Lo Celso joins Son Heung-Min (hamstring) as questionable for Sunday’s match.
(8) Mourinho on the possibilities of Son enjoying this weekend:
I don’t wish to deceive you and say he doesn’t play and Sunday he’s there. On the similar time, I don’t wish to say he performs after which he doesn’t. So let’s wait and see. On this second, I truthfully don’t know.
(9) Whereas Manchester United have been sluggish on this transfer window, Tottenham Hotspur have been something however. Spurs kicked off the summer time by signing Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg (Southampton) and Matt Doherty (Wolves), earlier than pulling off a sensational coup for each Gareth Bale and Sergio Reguilon from Real Madrid. Bale gained’t be out there till later this month, however Reguilon dazzled on his debut towards Chelsea and will have little bother nailing down the beginning left again spot. He’s one to observe.
(10) A worrying pattern for Spurs, although, lies of their protection. Regardless of racking up some nice outcomes throughout the opening weeks of this season, they haven’t managed to maintain a clear sheet but. With attack-minded fullbacks like Reguilon and Doherty, fast counterattacks will be this backline’s undoing. Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood, Bruno Fernandes, and Paul Pogba ought to discover quite a lot of possibilities to get on the scoresheet this weekend.
(11) Mourinho on the hectic begin to the brand new season:
If we bear in mind what we did on this previous month, it’s unimaginable. Three Premier League matches, three knockouts in Europe, the Chelsea sport… seven matches in this time period, with one other in two days. That’s actually, actually arduous, so I’m more than happy for the boys.