In a January 13, 2021 assertion, Ovuorie responded to allegations made by the media mogul, one in all which included allegations that that they had a heat relationship that included items of cash. She additionally pointed to the involvement of her former employer Premium Occasions in her copyright claims.
In response to Abudu’s claims that they have been in a relationship previous to the discharge of ‘Oloture’ wherein she donated cash to the journalist for her late father’s funeral, Ovuorie said:
“I then despatched messages to all of the contacts on my cellphone to allow them to bear in mind my household and me in prayers, together with Aunt Mo at the moment (earlier than Oloture was launched). I NEVER have Aunt Mo Requested for cash Slightly, she despatched me a message to ship my checking account info so she may ship me an indication for my father’s funeral, and he or she then despatched me N100,000.00 (100 thousand naira).
“My former editor on the Guardian newspaper, Mr Fred Ohwahwa, additionally despatched me some cash after I heard my father had handed away. A number of former bosses and colleagues and folks I’ve by no means met got here by means of for me. I used to be and nonetheless am I’m very grateful to all of them. After watching the video, I now ask myself: The 100,000 N despatched by Aunt Mo, was it greater than a present? Was it supposed to purchase my silence, when the movie is launched? ”
Learn the total assertion:
MS. TOBORE OVUORIE
RE: EBONYLIFES CLAIMS TO THE OLOTURFILM
1. I used to be made conscious of the current video recording of Ms. Mo Abudu. At first, I could not see the recording as a result of Ms. Mo Abudu (Aunt Mo) had blocked me on Instagram since final 12 months. Nevertheless, I used to be capable of view the recording from different platforms that the video was republished on.
2. Though I now not intend to interact in social media points on this matter, I wish to appropriate the information for the sake of posterity.
3. First, EbonyLife claimed that the correct to make use of my life story was legally obtained from my earlier employer – Premium Occasions. Sadly for her, and as I had beforehand knowledgeable her by means of my attorneys, the human trafficking investigation into my historical past had begun previous to my employment with Premium Occasions. It is disheartening that Aunt Mo may really point out that my ex-employer gave her the correct to my life story (which has influenced my life in some ways since then).
4. Second, I am shocked that Aunt Mo would declare I used to be contacted in a single breath earlier than the movie and in one other breath that the story isn’t about me however about a number of different faceless journalists who did what I’ve executed however haven’t executed publish their experiences.
5. If Ebonylife had totally disclosed me from the beginning, we might not be the place we’re at that time. Sure, Oloture is a crucial movie that must be made however must be executed proper. A movie about victimization of girls can’t result in additional victimization.
6. Oloture is an adaptation of my work and my life story. I’ve seen the investigation, course of, and dangers that the movie is predicated on. I additionally single-handedly authored the discharge that the movie was primarily based on. The publication of my experiences spawned Oloture. A intercourse trafficking film does not should be a couple of journalist or act out the actions of my printed story.
7. The query is why the open credit for the story of Oloture carry Mo Abudu, Temidayo Abudu, and three others. How moral is that for a custom-made story? How acceptable is the alleged closing credit score? This isn’t commonplace business follow and Ebonylife ought to know higher.
8. Aunt Mo’s declare that Kenneth Gyang needed to cope with each day and weekly harassment from me is totally false. On October 4, 2020, Kenneth Gyang confessed within the printed Premium Occasions story that he grew to become conscious of the Oloture story two weeks earlier than the movie was launched. A movie director I labored with on a 30-minute documentary about the identical story in 2016 instructed Kenneth the precise supply of the story and warned him of the implications.
9. Kenneth Gyang contacted me to present DW an audio interview, however my attorneys suggested towards additional media involvement on the matter. I additionally contemplated Kenneth’s disposition when he requested for it, and as an alternative of crushing my phrases in an interview that got here by means of Kenneth Gyang, I made a decision to not enable it. It could be morally mistaken for me to grant such an interview if he’s the one who handed my contacts on to the reporter who reached out to me on the time.
10. Aunt Mo’s declare that I did this for monetary causes and since Oloture traveled extensively is one other deliberate try to wreak havoc. The query is whether or not the choice to label this movie as fiction was a deliberate try to maximise earnings. The allusion to the truth that my declare for compensation was outrageous after I alleged an infringement of mental property rights exhibits that a lot must be executed in reorienting the leisure panorama in Nigeria.
11. My apparent curiosity has all the time been to present my work satisfactory recognition, nicely above the compensation declare. The letter from my attorneys to EbonyLife had categorically demanded:
• “Copyright Infringement Compensation of US $ 5,000,000.00 (US $ 5 million).
• The quick inclusion of satisfactory open credit score and a terminal credit score within the movie, recognizing the variation of their work to business commonplace and follow; and
• Restriction of the additional use of the printed life story of our shopper by your good self, your organization and its affiliated firms or affiliated firms in any kind, together with the struggles and experiences of our shopper after the investigation, comparable to B. Her nervous breakdown episodes that she shared with you in individual on the set, on or about June 6, 2019 through the recording of the particular version of your program titled “Moments With Mo” at your organization’s Ilupeju recording studio.
The movie’s open and closing credit must be revised as follows:
Open Credit score:
“THIS FILM is roughly primarily based on occasions that occurred to a Nigerian investigative journalist in an investigative story printed in 2014.”
Finish Credit score:
“THIS FILM IS AN ADAPTATION OF:
WEST AFRICA | BELOW, IN THE HUMAN TRADING MAFIA, DISCOVER AN INQUIRY STORY OF TOBORE OVUORIE, PUBLISHED ON JANUARY 22, 2014 AND AT THE PREMIUM TIMES, NIGERIA, IN ZAM MAGAZINE, THE NETHERLANDS. ”
12. On July third, 2020 my father; The aged Apostle Jack Mit Ovuorie went to the Lord and I used to be knowledgeable on July 4, 2020. My father and God have been all I had. I then despatched messages to all the contacts on my cellphone to allow them to know in order that they may bear in mind my household and me in prayers. together with Aunt Mo at the moment (earlier than the discharge of Oloture). I NEVER requested Aunt Mo for cash. Slightly, she despatched me a message to ship my checking account info so she may ship me an indication for my father’s funeral. I did. And she or he then despatched me N100,000.00 (100 thousand naira). My former editor on the Guardian newspaper, Mr. Fred Ohwahwa, additionally despatched me some cash after I heard that my father had handed away. A number of former bosses, co-workers, and folks I’ve by no means met obtained by means of for me. I used to be and nonetheless am very grateful to all of them. After watching the video I now ask myself: The 100,000 N that Aunt Mo despatched was greater than a present? Was it supposed to purchase my silence when the movie was launched?
13. As many ladies all over the world are trafficked as Aunt Mo claims, however who else, together with undercover journalists, has had the identical expertise as earlier than Oloture was printed and portrayed within the movie? Making a film about exploitation should not be exploitative in itself.
14. I nearly died (and noticed demise) whereas taking a 7 month journey to analyze human trafficking. Now I am going by means of the ordeal a second time and watch my life story on tv, with out full recognition or compensation and the following smear marketing campaign.
Recall Ovuorie granted Pulse an unique interview detailing how the Netflix movie was an adaptation of her 2014 intercourse trafficking analysis report. Within the interview, the journalist claimed she was contacted after the movie premiered in 2019 and never correctly credited for utilizing her life story.
Mo Abudu initially responded to Ovourie’s allegations by stating that “Oloture” was a fiction, though she utilized for and bought rights to the Premium Occasions 2014 report. Abudu later posted a now viral video reiterating that EbonyLife had complied with authorized limits on the acquisition of copyrights in Nigeria.